Saturday, February 03, 2007

PIKON

It's D month again. And almost every hapless single female is being preyed upon by family, so-called friends, colleagues and non-entities to get a man.

It pisses me off that too many of my "friends" think I'm so aba, kaawa-awa (pitiful) and luckless because I'm single. Many can't look past my declared "Single" status to the wonderful events in my life. Sure, I don't have a date giving me the death squeeze while walking in a crowded mall. I don't have someone to accompany me while I dig out clothes and stuff during shopping sprees. I don't have a dog at my beck and call 24/7. But those are perks of a relationship I can do well without.

Excuse me. Okay, so I'm defensive. I've turned a deaf ear to their nagging for the longest time, but I'm getting pikon at their insinuations that a single like me would be so man-starved that I would grab the first man who comes my way.

It's bad enough that society dictates a woman's role is to be a mother and a wife. To have friends point out that a life without a partner is not a life at all is worse.

If I were in a relationship, I'd have another head to count during Christmas shopping. Another cellphone number to memorize and keep beeping with constant updates as to my whereabouts. Another person to think about when making decisions. Another planner to consult everyday. Hell, my life's complicated enough.

Now, I'm seriously considering about evaluating my idea of "friends". I may have been too liberal with my definition.

No comments: