Tuesday, August 08, 2006

Almost Mishap

Had my first real driving experience last Sunday night...well, outside of driving school, that is. And using our car. On the way home from my sister's place, my dad let me drive from D. Tuazon/Q.Ave to our house near Mayon/Retiro. Just a bit of a kilometer, if my estimates are right.

Well, nothing untoward at first. Got the "bite" (that "just right" mix of clutch and gas on the first gear) like a pro. Hmm, slow build-up of speed, though admittedly, my mind was quite blank tha I can't coordinate gear shifting and clutch. Hahaha. The mishap almost happened on the left turn from D. Tuazon to Calamba.

I slowed down on the second, not bothering to shift to first...but I was apparently going faster than I imagined. It would have been okay but but I did not notice another car crossing from the same street I was going to enter. My dad, mom and sister were all yelling different things, which by now I have no memory of (ah, selective amnesia, I love you) and I was so totally blank I did not even hit on the brake. I had enough presence of mind to steer the car on it's left turn without hitting the gutter or the car. That, in itself, was a miracle because on any other given day, I'm still getting to know steering wheels.

Anyway, I didn't even panic...which, I repeat, is the blessing of a blank mind. But I think my dad would now think a thousand times before letting me drive again. And my sis would probably not be riding with me for the longes time.

No comments: