Sunday, January 15, 2006

Devotion to the Sto.Nino

Finally, the new corporate website!!! Hurrah, after lifeyears, it's finally ready...Had to stay at the office until 8 pm last night to see to things, though. The people from the IT department (Paolo and Byron) really was helpful last night, kahit na dahil dito eh, sila yung kelangan mag OT to the max. Last night, at least andun si Byron kasi marami pang problems, considering that tomorrow, Monday, is the Go Lide date. Hay buhay.

Woke up VERY early in the morning for the annual "trek" to Divisoria. Today is the feast day of Sto. Nino, which is the patron saint (questionable, Sto. Nino is definitely not a saint - Sto. Nino is the Child Jesus) of Tondo and Cebu. There are two stories here.

Story 1: When I was only one month old, I fell ill and was rushed to St. Mary's hospital. As Mama (my maternal grandmother) told me ages ago, "isang bulate na lang ang hindi pumupirma" (I was in the brink of death). My mom went to the nearest church, the Sto. Nino church, as it is popularly known, and prayed. She asked God to heal me, and in turn, I will be "devoted" to the Sto. Nino. (Yun ba yung "panata"??). So every third Sunday of January, my mom would take me to hear mass at that Church.

Story 2: The Church houses an antique statue of the Sto. Nino. On it's feast day, people troop to the Sto. Nino church to view the statue. My mom told me that years ago, the statue was stolen. It rained and rained for days, flooding Metro Manila. And up to the time the head of the Sto. Nino was found (the body of the statue was divided into pieces presumely to make it easier to sell) Manila saw nothing but rain day in day out. Sounds like the story of Noah's Arc?? I don't doubt that it could happen. When something of mine is stolen, I want thunder to strike down the thief...I can just imagine....

Anyway, I am too sleepy to watch Narnia now...oh swell...

No comments: