Tuesday, December 12, 2006

Blowing the Candles

It's 361 days to go before I celebrate my birthday again. Sigh. My special day came and went by like a blur. I woke up with a heavy head and a clogged nose (a now frequent event, it seems) to a dozen birthday greetings on my cellphone and was glad that I enrolled in UNLIMITXT the previous night.

My first chore for the day was to go to Chocolate Lovers to replenish my baking stock. After a brief rest and a quick lunch while stringing a lei for the party's Hawaiian dance, I proceeded to bake some bars and cookies to give to MSG, the Palarca family and some friends.

A brief rest again before an equally brief and hurried bath so I can have enough time to iron my hair and a self-pedicure. Before I knew it, we were running late for the Holy Mass. I had to drag my parents out of the house just so we could at least make it to the homily.

If there was one prayer answered, it was the one about the latest, J. From the start, I had prayed that he will realize that whatever feelings he might have for me will be unreciprocated. I always find it awkward to "spurn" men, because at the back of my mind, I feel guilty knowing that I'm rejecting them for the wrong reasons. But I want to remain true to myself, and I want to stop being self-centered and selfish. No matter how much I enjoy flattery, I don't want them to waste their time, effort and money on something they can not have.

I didn't have a real birthday party, nor a cake I can blow while making a wish...anyhow, I don't know if I'll be mumbling the same wish, since I don't think God still needs to second-guess it. Looking at all the things I have, all my family, friends and whatnots, I'm always grateful for these. I'm financially stable, and though still single, far from nursing a broken heart. I've all the shoes I can enjoy (and yet, acquiring more), and though I have no sense of smell more frequently than I have colds, my body is still functioning well and good. I am free, and alive and able. Some people have far less than these. I've no right to complain. =)

No comments: